Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Entry Level Twitter



First go to twitter.com  and open up an account.

The following tutorial was generously created, for our EcoChic Etsy Vintage Jewelry Team,  by the husband and wife team: Terri of  sodear2myheart and Dennis Weaver@WebSelling4U Southern Indiana USA Web developer & marketer with BSC & 30 yrs experience. Need help with Etsy, Artfire, others? How about a low cost custom website or ad campaign? Msg me today!


Tweeting Vintage Jewelry on Etsy in Five Easy StepsBe sure that you’re logged into your Twitter Account.Example: I have this item listed: Vintage Green Black Onyx & Glass Intaglio Charm Bracelet 1950s Jewelry

1) After listing your item (or for any item you currently have listed in your shop), click the "share" button on the item’s listing page & select "Twitter". "Sharing" your item via this button will automatically generate a "plain" Tweet for you.

Your computer should take you from your jewelry ad over to your Twitter desktop so that you can see the tweet it generated:
Vintage Green Black Onyx & Glass Intaglio Charm by sodear2myheart http://etsy.me/eShQJo2) Press "Tweet" .
In the above example, it gave a few words about what it is that I’m tweeting about, it identified me (or the shop it came from), where it was located and gave it a somewhat shortened link via "etsy.me"


2) You’ve just "Tweeted" your item! Congratulations! Going a step further…"neaten" it up and add #HASHTAGS:  In order for your item to be "searchable" by the Twitter community, you need to add those important #hashtags…using the example above:
#Vintage Green Black Onyx & Glass Intaglio Charm #Bracelet http://etsy.me/eShQJo #jewelry #ecochic I used the existing word "Vintage" to add a hashtag to it,
I removed "by sodear2myheart" because the tweet is coming from me and will be shown coming from @sodear2myheart when I send it.
- I added "bracelet" so that people viewing it on Twitter will know what I’m selling
- I added the hashtag jewelry because it is a popular search
- I added ecochic so it will be found by our group members and our ecochicVTG
"bot" (this is meant for use only of ecochic team members).
-  
3) One more step…Add some "personality"...Just listed in my #etsy shop  #Vintage Green Black Onyx Glass Intaglio Charm Bracelet http://etsy.me/eShQJo #jewelry #ecochic I let everyone know that this is a newly listed item in my Etsy shop.
- I hashtagged #etsy, because other Etsians search for the term…MANY do re-tweet them!
- I added a "smiley" so everyone would know that I’m super friendly and excited about this new offering! Lol
I still have four characters left! Finally…rearrange & shorten your tweet so it’s easy for others to retweet & comment…
New on #etsy!  #Vintage Onyx & Glass Intaglio Charm Bracelet http://etsy.me/eShQJo #ecochic #jewelry This leaves 37 characters for others to retweet & leave a comment about your item after they look at it…
The clickable "link" is toward the middle of the tweet, so there’s no concern that it will be cut off when it is retweeted
People who retweet are more likely to do so if they don’t have to do a bunch of editing themselves, so make it super easy for them to do!
Neat hint about retweets, especially by "bots" If you move your "bot" hashtags toward the middle of your tweets, there’s less chance they’ll be cut off when someone retweets your items.
Tweet to 20 followers – item is then automatically re-tweeted by
#EcochicVTG – who has 23 followers
@SoDear2MyHeart – who has 20,975 followers
@WebSelling4U – who has 21,576 followers
When your item is retweeted, #ecochic hashtag are still in the "retweeted" tweet, so they can be picked up AGAIN and retweeted yet another time! So when you are re-tweeted by @ecochicvtg, @webselling4u & @sodear2myheart will find those re-tweets and retweet them again! Try to do the math in your head…I can only get about 2 steps before I’m lost in the sheer volume of retweets & impressions! it’s simply staggering!
 
4) A word about GRATITUDE… If you are retweeted, then RETURN the favor!!!From your Twitter Home Page, search for mentions of your name using the search box… Search for @(your name). This will return the tweets that "mention" you…either directly, or in retweeted tweets you’ve posted…. If you see that its from someone either in our group or on Etsy, here’s the nicest thing you can do…

I just found this "mention" about my Etsy shop:

From: ienjoysoup 
Wow this shop has the sweetest stuff! @sodear2myhearthttp://www.etsy.com/shop/sodear2myheart
I clicked her twitter name, which took me to her profile.
It told me that she’s an artist who makes her living with her art and that she likes good clean fun.
It gave me a link to her website, which included a link to her Etsy shop, so I clicked over.
I went thru her listings and found an item that I found pretty neat…she’ll take a photo of your pet and turn it into artwork…
So I "thanked" her with the following "reply"
@ienjoysoup Thanks for the love! Pet Portrait You Give Me The Photo I Make You A Portrait http://etsy.me/gfzl92 Super Cool Gift Idea!Also, while I was at her profile, I noted that I was already following her and that she was following me. If you get a mention by someone that you’re not following, then by all means, FOLLOW THEM! Most will reciprocate, especially if they’re talking about you already!



5)  READ what people are saying about your shop…make a note of who retweets you the most…gauge who is tweeting and retweeting everyone else the most and give them all the love you can!!! Create relationships with beneficial Twitter members…and reciprocate! You’ll get more free advertising from consistent Twitterers who enjoy talking about you than from any of your original tweets…

Use the hashtags to search for tweets that mention things you enjoy: #Jewelry, #Vintage, #Juliana, #D&E, #Coro, #Rhinestones…if its something that interests you, it might be of interest to someone else…when you find people using these hashtags and you like what they are offering or saying, FOLLOW THEM…most likely, they will follow you back! This is a great way to expand your follower base!
List of helpful Links:

Social Oomph: http://www.socialoomph.com/88940.html

Follow FridayHelper Twitter App: www.ffhelper.com

This app (also includes: Follow (anyotherday),#Gratitude & #TY [thank you])

Just Unfollow



Glossary

Twitter users have developed short-form syntax to make the most of 140 characters. Here are the fundamentals.
  • Mention

    Once you've signed up and chosen a Twitter username, you and others can mention an account in your Tweets by preceding it with the @ symbol, eg: "Glad your shipment arrived @!"
  • Retweet

    When you see a Tweet by another user that you want to share, click Retweet below it to forward it to your followers instantly.
  • Message

    If you want to privately Tweet to a particular user who's already following you, start your Tweet with DM or Dto direct-message them, eg: "DM @ what is your order number?"
  • Hashtag

    Users often prepend # to words in their Tweets to categorize them for others eg: "Check out our new products for the Fall: http://t.co/link2 #fallsale" Think of hashtags as the theme of your Tweet. Users can then click on a hashtag to see other similarly-themed tweets and find yours in search.

Best Practices

Build your following, reputation, and customer's trust with these simple practices:
  1. Share. Share photos and behind the scenes info about your business. Even better, give a glimpse of developing projects and events. Users come to Twitter to get and share the latest, so give it to them!
  2. Listen. Regularly monitor the comments about your company, brand, and products.
  3. Ask. Ask questions of your followers to glean valuable insights and show that you are listening.
  4. Respond. Respond to compliments and feedback in real time
  5. Reward. Tweet updates about special offers, discounts and time-sensitive deals.
  6. Demonstrate wider leadership and know-how. Reference articles and links about the bigger picture as it relates to your business.
  7. Champion your stakeholders. Retweet and reply publicly to great tweets posted by your followers and customers.
  8. Establish the right voice. Twitter users tend to prefer a direct, genuine, likable tone from your business, but think about your voice as you Tweet.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Lisa! You are such a helpful wealth of knowledge! So when is intermediate level twitter coming out? Lol! Great blog girl!

barnfly said...

sending more ♥, thanks for posting in WLV and Vintage Lovers!

Unknown said...

Awesome! I couldn't have said it better myself!

Etsy Vintage Community said...

Just read today--and it's so true--DON'T drop links to what you're selling on Twitter. DO make connections with quality people who will stay interested in what you do...not just a quantity of people who follow you so you'll follow them, too.

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

Great post, thanks for sharing!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Gotta love twitter! Glad to see this out there for all to understand!

Teresa Rivers said...

Wow, this is so incredibly helpful! I had no idea all that was available on twitter. I was pretty proud of just tweeting, but I see I have more twitter fun to get to. Thanks!

RetaTo said...

What a helpful source of information. I just started using twitter after I opened my Etsy store. I had no idea how to benefit from it - but now I do! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to share some fabulous info on how to best use twitter.

Unknown said...

Noticed that " #etsybot " is all over your blog, hence, you may want to update that now, since that hashtag is no longer viable for Etsy sellers.

Lisa said...

Blackie---thanks for pointing that out...R.I.P. #etsybot.....all removed Lisa

Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

Just read. Thanks as I needed this info to make my tweets correct!

Aimarro said...

Thank you so much for this post! I'm so lucky to stumble upon this. I've been "using" twitter for about 2 months now, but couldn't, for the life of me, understand the explanation on their site. You gave such a great examples so it's all clear and understandable.
Thanks again,
from Marija

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful